Emotional literacy is the ability to identify, understand, and respond to emotions in oneself and others in a healthy manner. Carol has worked for over 10 years bringing emotional literacy into middle school classes.
Research indicates that emotional literacy has a positive impact on a wide range of social and academic behaviors.
According to research*, individuals with higher emotional literacy scores report:
• Improved academic performance and managing classroom behaviors
• Better quality friendships
• Greater happiness and satisfaction in relationships for dating and
• Better stress management
• Fewer problem behaviors and more pro-social behaviors
* Emotional Literacy in the Classroom: Upper Elementary. Brackett, M. A., et al. (2009).